Thursday, April 8, 2010

“I’m Gonna Be A… Wait for it…..” - Yu Yu Hakusho (Manga) – 4/10 Sugar Cubes


I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter. ~ Sir Winston Churchill

Genre: Supernatural/ Action/ Shounen

Review Status: Pretty Close to Full (Chapters 1-45, then 80 –end)

Licensed: Licensed in the US

Art: Dated. Decent for when it was made, but this is one series that needs a serious makeover. Also, sometimes the panels have flow problems that can be distracting/ confusing as to what’s going on.

Summary: One day, 14 year old Yusuke Urameshi suddenly finds himself dead, having died pushing a child out of the way of oncoming traffic. Since he has such a bad personality, even the Spirit World was caught by surprise that he would sacrifice himself. Yusuke soon finds out he wasn't supposed to die and has a chance for resurrection and bringing his body back to life. After being resurrected, Yusuke becomes a Spirit Detective, along with his comrades, and one adventure after another happens, whether it be an investigation or a fighting tournament. (From ANN.com)

Review: Man, oh man. This has to be one of the biggest letdowns I’ve ever read in my life. The story idea? Original, good. The first couple of arcs? Decent, good. And about a quarter of the way through the series comes the biggest mindfuck I have ever read- instead of this being a story about a boy’s salvation, it becomes a DBZ-style intergalactic fighting tournament.

I can assure you, the moment that it was brought into the storyline, I had a big WTF? over my head.

No longer was I reading about a boy growing and learning as a person, I was instead watching him battle creatures from other planets. Every chapter there would be perhaps two pages of characters talking/ walking around, and no character development whatsoever. Everything that had happened before pretty much goes right out the window, leaving you with the remnants of all the hopes that you had pinned to this series bleeding out in your hands.

To top it all off, even after the tournament is over, it’s as if the first part of the series NEVER HAPPENED! There is no ‘grand conclusion’, no ‘figuring everything out’, no NOTHING! And that is why I hate it with all my soul.

Recommended: Only the first 30 or so chapters- then put it down and let your imagine fill in the rest. Trust me, it’s better that way.

Other Series You Might Enjoy Instead: Soul Eater (manga)
School Rumble (anime)
Full Metal Alchemist (manga and anime, both original and FMA: Brotherhood)
Black Cat (manga)

1 comment: